Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Siddharta

"A goal stood before Siddhartha, a single goal: to become empty, empty of thirst, empty of wishing, empty of dreams, empty of joy and sorrow. Dead to himself, not to be a self any more, to find tranquility with an emptied heard, to be open to miracles in unselfish thoughts, that was his goal. Once all of my self was overcome and had died, once every desire and every urge was silent in the heart, then the ultimate part of me had to awake, the innermost of my being, which is no longer my self, the great secret".

I think this passage is saying that he doesn't want to no longer be associated with the human sides of him. He doesn't want to feel anything, he doesn't want to think about himself, but rather he wants to free himself from all emotions, he doesn't want any attachment to the things around him. He rather not to feel anything but to ostracize himself from the lavish world he was used to.

I choose this passage because many times we as human beings are so caught up in "self", all we think about is us and what we want and care nothing for the anyone else or the less fortunate. But here we have Siddharta who wants  to associate himself with the less 'fortunate". He wants to relate to them and in doing so he emptied himself and chose a life of discomfort. I think he wanted to see the world through the eyes of poverty.

6 comments:

  1. Your choice of a quote and analysis of it is great. I think when people strive for the things you describe, like existing in a way that is beyond the self and no longer so caught up in what we might call ordinary human concerns, their way of being truly starts to reflect the passage you shared. And sometimes that ability to tap into something deeper than the self really does make way for tranquility.

    On another note, your idea of caring for those other than ourselves is definitely an admirable one. I agree that it's important to be more considerate of and to others. Needless to say, I enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Scott. I think if the world was a bit more caring there wouldn't be so many violence

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post!

    I think the idea of one becoming a more earthly person with the world around us has even become a "cool" thing to do. It reminds me of all the people who randomly decide to start doing yoga, reading buddhist works and meditating "om mani padme um" and then out of nowhere drop that pick up some other "fad". I am not saying that is it bad to explore and trying to do something new but when that person does something good I feel like they should continue doing it. A person shouldn't care about the less fortunate or nature because everyone else is doing it, but rather because it's something good to be concerned about.

    I totally agree with you. We are always getting caught up with ourselves and what I need, and what has been happening to me. It does seem pretty selfish and I personally have tried to stop myself from being that way. When things don't go my way I can still appreciate what I do have and be more sympathetic towards those that have nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Aileen! I guess we can all learn a thing or two from reading this article! Very timely especially in this world where most things are circumvent around us and what we want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its good to see that this has inspired some discussion. Nothing more I can really add. Well just one thing, is it possible you think to be completely unselfish like he says, even though it is like being dead? Does that mean to be alive is to be selfish? Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not at all to be alive is a gift, that's a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete